Thursday, May 23, 2013

Gender Roles

I thought that this week brought up a lot of interesting ideas, and principles that can be related to the family.  I think that living in a world that is changing the definition of family and the roles within the family that it gets complicated to think of all the different ways a family can operate.  It is also difficult to say that men will always take care of the checkbook; women will cook, clean, and raise the children.  Since times are changing, I think that the balance between men and women is crucial for a successful marriage.  In my family, my dad has set clear boundaries that he is the breadwinner, and that my mom will cook and raise us children.  It has been that way since I can remember.  My mom has had desires to go out and work, and since we are all growing up, hopefully that will happen someday.  

In my future family, I would like a husband who respects my decisions that I make in life, and I do want to work as a teacher to keep busy.  When I have kids, I want to raise them, but knowing that I can help with finances at times when we needed is what I hope to have in an agreement in marriage.  I do think that there are shared responsibilities, but what I think of as shared in my family, may not be what another family needs in theirs.  I would like my husband and I to raise our children together with each other rather than dominating over each other.  I think that everything a husband and wife do, they can do together, whether it be walking through tough times together, working, doing chores, or learning with one another.  

No comments:

Post a Comment